Nurse who suffers chronic tailbone pain

My photo
I am a Registered Nurse who has suffered with tailbone pain for over 8 years. Like all chronic pain, it is essential that sufferers get the correct support, diagnosis and treatment appropriate for them as an individual. This blog follows my journey with chronic pain, it expresses my personal opinions and thoughts. It is not intended as a replacement for advice or treatment from your normal Healthcare Provider.

Wednesday, 14 January 2015

First day back to work

Yesterday was my first day back to work after 6 weeks off. I was very apprehensive, but also wanted to be back. My new sit/stand station was in place. The engineer has put the switch upside down so I have to press up for it to go down, and down for it to go up; but I really don't care. I am just so grateful that it's there.

So I was able to stand from 09:30 until lunch at 13:00.  Brilliant!! As it was my first day back I had all my emails to check, study sessions to book, passwords to change (numerous!) and new patients to contact for future visits.

I think because I felt ok, I was lulled into a false sense of security and after lunch sat from about 13:30-16:00. Mistake. I was sore after that. It was more because the chair I was sat on, pressed into my lower back and tops of my thighs, so again I ached in weird places. Because my sit/stand desk is shared, and in a different office to my usual one, it means I have to leave it sometimes in the day. I need to therefore work around this in future. The person who shares it does not need it, but there are not enough desks and computers to go round, so it has just been put in the only available place.

On Monday, I also have a new chair arriving, so I hope this will also help. I think this will go with the sit/stand station though. So this is obviously where I need to try and base most of my time. I'm hoping later this week when I'm back to visiting patients, and out and about, it will all work out nicely :-/

After work, I went to the gym and did a power walk and a bit of a run. I then got stuck in an awful traffic jam for over an hour. By bedtime I was sore again, and could only fall asleep with Paracetamol and my heat pad under me. Not sure if that was due to first day back at work, gym or being stuck in my car for an hour, or a combination of all three.

Today, though, things seem more settled again. 10th physio this Friday. I am remaining optimistic. If this keeps the surgeons knife away I will have cause for celebration.

No comments:

Post a Comment